#header-inner {text-align: center ;}

Friday, February 3, 2012

Tour of Katie's Classroom


Welcome to my room!  Below are some of my favorite parts of my classroom.  This year I teach a 2nd/3rd multi-age class.  I work hard to make the classroom a welcoming place, but still functional.  By that, I mean what's hanging on the walls are used by students every day.  I make my materials easily accessible, from my writing center to my math manipulative area.  Let's start the tour!
This is the view as you enter my classroom.  Students are arranged in three large table groups.  I recently purchased water bottles for each student (cheap on Oriental Trading) that you can see on the desks.  This has really decreased the number of times students are getting up out of their desks and is helping them to be healthier!  Students also have a book box on their desks, which holds their "just right" books and folders, enabling them to easily take their work with them.

At the front of the room, I have a few tools that I use often.  I love the visual timer and having the students' job chart allows me to easily see who is responsible for what each week.  I also showcase different books up front, depending on the upcoming holiday or time of year.  Right now the books promote Black History Month.
My primary management tool for whole group rewards is based on a point system.  Each month I have a different theme to visually represent the points we are earning.  This month, students are trying to get all of the fish into the fish bowl!  Students really enjoy seeing the different theme each month!  I made these on my Cricut and attach magnets to the back.



I have most of my library leveled by guided reading levels and then have a section of books sorted by series.  I made labels on the computer with the different series names and pictures, which really helps students to put the books back into the correct bin.  I also love  this because students who know of a favorite character can easily find more books to read.
The blue carpet is where I do all of my mini-lessons with the whole group.  I like to have it at the back of the room, so students are not disrupted by people coming and going from the room.  I have attached hooks to the wall to hang a flip chart, so I always have a place to create anchor charts.  I keep a calendar area here as well, for when I teach 2nd grade math.





Here is my science word wall!  I put out science books that relate to our current unit on the shelf below.  Also up front (to the left of the word wall) is my daily schedule.
I am fortunate to have two computers in the room for students to use.  I primarily use these during math workshop, but students also use them for research and to play educational games.  On the back wall I have a "special reading spot" seating chart, so students know when it is their turn to use the bean bags and pillows during reading.
This is my math tools and manipulatives bookshelf, which frames my group meeting area. Students are allowed to come and use the tools as needed during math workshop.  On top of the shelf is my listening library and individual CD players.
This is my brand new kidney table (thank you Donors Choose!) for my small groups in guided reading and math.  I face towards the rest of the class, so I can still keep an eye on what the rest of the students are doing.

Something new I'm trying this year is for the students to have a personal goal each week that they are working toward.  Each Monday, when students are entering the room, they read the goals that I have identified and choose the one they want to focus on for the week.  During the week we recognize when a student is making progress towards his/her chosen goal.

I hope you enjoyed my room tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment